The name Red rice was given to this type of grain due to the presence of anthocyanin content in it, which makes the color of the rice to look red in color. It is also called as Cargo rice. It has a distinct nutty taste.
It has high nutrient value compared to other rice types. It is usually advices by fitness trainers to take enough red rice to control high blood sugars and for the patients with heart issues
It is normally consumed partially hulled or unhulled. For persons who are looking for healthier food, red rice would be the best. There are many health benefits of this rice. This is because it retains the germ and hence the name whole grain. The inner white portion of the rice contains carbohydrates and proteins in it
Many experts in nutrients have explained the nutrient value of consuming just a scoop (45 grams) of red rice which contains 93% carb which includes fibers, 20 mg of calcium, 95 mg of potassium, 2 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein. This is absolutely fat-free
However, red rice shouldn’t be consumed by pregnant women or if any woman plans to get conceived, as it might have adverse effects on the unborn. It is not known that consuming red rice affects breast milk composition.
Alternative Names: Sivappu/Sigappu rice | Sivappu/Sigappu Kavuni Rice/Arisi | Rice
- This type of rice contains antioxidants such as Iron, Zinc and Manganese. As we know antioxidants helps to fight the free radicals (Causes damages to the tissues and cells) which are released from the human body. It also helps to maintain our body’s defense mechanism to function effectively. It also helps in boosting the healing properties.
- It has monacolin K (An active component) in it, which helps to lower the bad cholesterol level. This active component is present in the drugs, prescribed for treating bad cholesterol
- It is highly rich in fiber. Consuming this type of rice cures constipation and prevents bowel movements. Since, it has ample amount of useful fiber, it gives adequate energy for the body to carryout regular activities.
- Completely reduces changes of heart attack. Report has said that the chances of having a heart attack got reduced drastically for those who consume red rice regularly. This is because; red rice reduces bad cholesterol called LDL (Low-density Lipoprotein cholesterol).
- Consuming this type of rice is highly suitable for diabetes patients, since it has relatively low Glycemic Index value of 55. Thereby it prevents us from eyesight problems or glaucoma. Consuming it on a regular basis helps to reduce and maintain the blood sugar level.
- It is a wonderful cure for those who are looking for weight loss. It is proven result that person who have been consuming red rice regularly has the least chance of obesity.
- Red rice has got many minerals and Magnesium is one among them. It helps to get rid of constipation problems and boosts digestion. It is also a cure for bone related problems such as osteoporosis (Bone weakness). Yet, magnesium is to be on the right level, as too much might cause adverse effect. Regular consumption of red rice prevents joint problems.
- Since it contains Iron in it, it acts as a cure for those who suffer from Anemia. 100 grams of red rice contains 21% of iron in it. Iron is a vital mineral which is essential for the production of hemoglobin, which in turn makes the red blood cells to transport oxygen and other essential nutrients to different parts of the body.
- It is a gift for those who are concerned about ageing skin. Regular consumption of red rice keeps your skin hale and healthy, wrinkle-free, as it reduces the effect of UV rays on the skin. It also makes the skin to be firm.
- It helps in enhancing consumption of oxygen in your body and is a wonderful cure for Asthma.
- Using Red Rice, we could make the following recipes:
- Plain rice
- It can be added to Risotto for a wonderful dish